June 21, 2013

Handmade Paper Beads: Ethical Shopping


These gorgeous handmade paper beads came beautifully packaged in a hand sewn bag all the way from Africa!  I learnt about No.41 through Ashley Ann recently and decided I would love to support these beautiful ladies in Africa trying to make a better life for themselves.


No.41 employ 21 women from the Noel orphanage in Gisenyi, Rawanda along with 11 local women.  Some of these ladies are single mothers, all have beautiful smiles and a touching story.  Read more about the ladies here and what else No.41 has achieved, including feeding 870 students every day as part of a school lunch program, since March 2012.  Love, love, love it.
My beads smell of paint so I will be airing them for a bit then I can't wait to wear them.  The fabric bag reminds me of a skirt my Mum wore in Africa, a lovely batik inspired print.  You can simply donate to No.41's awesome project or go shopping for some gorgeous beads, aprons or bags

2 comments:

Laura said...

These are so gorgeous Ros! Isn't that African fabric gorgeous too, I've been stocking up on some here in Kenya. Here are some lovely Kenyan options if you're after more great products..

http://www.dignitydesignskenya.org/index2.php?v=v1#/home/ Dignity Designs provides employment for mothers of children with disabilities, as well as supporting their children through Heshima House. I've sent different bits and pieces home to girlfriends, they have beautiful jewellry.

http://totoknitsshop.com/ Supporting single mothers. Our nephew and niece love their Safari sweaters (I want one in my size!)

And http://zawadi.com.au/ - I think their website is still in early stages, but another beautiful jewellry collection!

Rosalind said...

Thanks lovely lady for the fab links x